Friday, May 29, 2009

Sour Grapes?

A bit harsh, maybe?

Especially since I have already published the Cliff Notes for applegate Art (read blog posting June 18,2008). But after a chat with the latest juror at the ArtWorks opening, who, in a nutshell, when prompted by me (which in hindsight was probably my error), said Monopolized was a piece with a sense of humor, or something to that effect, that has prompted me to write this blog.

Now, to put this discussion in its proper context, if you haven't already done so, please read my previous blog describing my intentions for creating Monopolized. Then answer this question: "Pretty funny stuff, huh?"

For the record, Monopolized is not a whimsical piece created to amuse people. Instead, its intentions are of a serious nature of a boy developmentally growing up in a society in which he perceives unspoken intentions and expectations on how and what he "should" be. Obviously, this is my story, reflected in my creations, but I'm curious and ask "am I the only person who's ever had these issues?" I'd think this is a universal theme. Compromising self for the sake of paying the mortgage, having to expound huge chunks of life time and energy devoted to "bringing home the bacon", as they say (isn't it ironic that in my effort to be healthy, I don't even eat bacon!).

But forget all this. As they say these days "whatever". My real issue here is the question, why wouldn't this juror have any more insight as to at least ask herself questions about why this boy is standing on a wooden ladder and why is he holding a bird cage? Why are the birds flying outside the bird cage? Who's that figure trapped in the bird cage? Why is the floor of the bird cage a Monopoly game? Why did this creator take the time and energy to create this collection of objects? Maybe they are trying to say something? Why didn't they just write it down on a piece of paper to make it easier for me to understand and include it with the piece of art? Why did they go to all this trouble...boy, ladder, bird cage, Monopoly game...and how did they even get it all in the building? Must have been a hassle at best.

Is this a case of Cool Hand Luke's universal statement: "What we have here is a failure to communicate"? I am left to wonder if it's a case of me not communicating, or is it people aren't making any attempt to listen. In this case, did the juror who supposedly is dedicated to listen to people who choose to communicate through the media as I do, suddenly go deaf?

So what's with me? Is this just a "Sour Grapes" blog? Just another creator whining because my work was not understood? Or am I disappointed in myself, as it is not the juror, or the other non-listeners I am bothered by, but the fact that I have let my own passions get tangled up with acceptance and perceptions of others.

What would Jimmy Lee Sudduth say if he read this blog? He'd be confused. It would make no sense to him. He's a visionary artist (see Feb. 17, 2008 blog). He paints a picture of a hog on plywood with mud. Why? Because there's something inside him that tells him to do this. It's that same something which tells me to do what I have been doing for my entire life. I've had people ask me why I do what I do. I tell them I'm not sure, sometimes it doesn't even make sense to me. But that's a lie. To me, it has always made sense. Perfect sense.

My frustration surfaces with the ignorance of a juror who refused to make an effort to listen, but my real frustration lies within myself for wanting the attention, feedback, understanding for my creations which I create to communicate very personal life messages.

Yet, this experience may be the constant reminder I need to keep receiving, that maybe, just maybe, my place is to create what I create and leave the what happens to the creation to someone else. For the real truth for me comes during those moments of creating. It only seems to get confusing when I pay attention to the promotion of my creation.

Jimmy, forgive me. It's time to bring the troops home and stay true to visionary artists like yourself, myself.

Now who's the dummy?

1 comment:

Wayne Conners said...

With any piece of art

- is the artist's vision clear? Can the artist effectively transform their interior emotions, thoughts, whatever, from their brain or soul to the medium within which they are working? By nature, any artist in any medium may be more or less effective in that transformation at one moment than another. This transformation is *always* flawed and less than 100% complete.

- Viewer interpretation is also flawed. People bring themselves to art, and experience that art through their own lens of reality. Can we fault them if they misinterpret our artistic voice? How many times have you heard a musician, filmmaker, play director, visual artist, say something like, "that person completely did not get what I was trying to say".

Is it the fault of the viewer or the artist, or a little of both?

I'm not suggesting your concerns aren't valid, of course they are. I have no answers, just thoughts, ragged though they may be.