Friday, April 10, 2009

Pink Man Goes Public!


A few years ago, I complete a series of Pink Man paintings. Each painting depicted a poignant moment I experienced during a day of secular life. For each painting, I wrote a poem attempting to capture the moment with written word. Resulting in a visual, written documentation hoping to share my experience with others.

Each experience sent a message of enlightenment to me. Each moment will also remain vividly etched in my conscious memory.

Pink Man taking a walk depicts his continual struggle with time. Balancing time. Sharing time of passion with time spent "making a living". An ironic contradiction to Pink Man.

Buzzy's is the first exhibit a Pink Man painting/poem has been shared. The poem reads:

My business meeting at Wrightsville Beach ended early. Twenty whole minutes to spare. But I still needed to be back in Raleigh by five.

A small window for a walk on the beach. Ten minutes up, ten minutes back.

The ocean was a layer of deep blues. Churning in endless, tumbling waves crashing on the surf. Pelicans soared in formation within an eyelash above the horizon. Back lit by a serene pale blue-green sky.

I checked my watch every three minutes on my beach walk.

Driving back to Raleigh that day, I was haunted by the overwhelming question: "Why do I only settle for slivers of my dream?"

_______

View the entire Pink Man series.

No comments: